This partner was having a hard time scaling their business due to a lack of understanding in PPC channels and was stuck in the same monthly revenue mark for seven months.
1. Everything the client had done in the past did not produce the desired results.
2. The data in the ad account couldn’t be used to build a long-term and effective customer acquisition and retention strategy.
3. High CPM. For the client, it meant spending more per each purchase.
In the case of this client, we had two points of leverage to leverage:
1. Available budget
2. Client’s established brand
WHAT WE DID
1. Restructured the entire ad account and created a three-stage AIDA funnel
2. Within the campaigns, we used 3 ad formats: Video, Image, Carousel
3. Having been able to drive the right people to the website we were then able to create great lookalike audiences to allow Facebook to do the hard work for us and find more of the right people.
STAGE 1: BUILT WARM AUDIENCE
We see a lot of e-commerce brands put a lot of hope in top of their funnels, meaning they expect customers to convert on the first date.
This type of thinking negatively affects their media buying decisions and puts their budgets at risk. Most people hate being sold to, that’s why we created a set of ads that did two things: educated a new audience about the brand and evoked curiosity.
Our ad copy and creatives primary objective was to re-introduce our client’s core USP which is the best product at an affordable price. Luckily, we had enough of budget to also test enough of creatives which of course amplified our top of the funnel objective: get quality traffic so we could build quality lookalike audiences.
Initially, we thought one chosen demographic would’ve been the most engaged, so we went ahead and leveraged both interest and lookalike layers in different ad sets. We got engagement but it wasn’t overwhelming. However, after adding on another demographic segment, we saw engagement going through the roof.
STAGE 2: IMPLEMENTED DPAs & COLLECTION ADS
While we used three formats of creatives with subtle branding at the top of the funnel, we leveraged both Dynamic Product Catalog and Collection Ads at the retargeting level.
Dynamic ads show products to the individual according to the catalogues that they have viewed and products that they have added to the cart. It’s played especially well with this particular retail client as they had 30+ brands to promote in their store.
STAGE 3: ADVANCED RETARGETING UTILISATION
In e-commerce, we generally battle with an abandon rate of 60-80%, so recovering those carts with a retargeting campaign is vital. Almost all businesses see the greatest results at their bottom of the funnel, so it was no surprise we did too.
To build the relevant funnel stages, we studied the traffic map and identified the following customer journey:
- Main Page
- Product Category
- Product Card
To manage the traffic effectively, we assigned each funnel step a separate ad set. We also performed all needed exclusions – each next audience group has been excluded from a previous one. So here is our final retargeting ad campaign structure:
- Main Page Visitors, excluding product category visitors.
- Product Category Visitors, excluding product card visitors.
- DPA: Dynamic Product Ads.
- Performed deep analysis to help identify the core issues and points of leverage.
- Improved traffic and Ad account structure.
- Implemented a customer acquisition strategy that helped to lower cost per purchase.
- Implemented a strong customer retention strategy.