$4.9K Into $26.7K In The 1st Month (and hitting 5.35 ROAS with the original target of 3.0 ROAS)

All right, ladies and gentlemen put your belts on!

We’re gonna cover our client prep work and a 3- phase graduation strategy that helped us get this account up and running quite profitably within just one month.

The brand’s marketing strategy was largely based on ad-free social media marketing and word-of-mouth.

So there were two initial goals:

  1. develop a strong paid customer acquisition channel
  2. further scale up with the initial goal of 3.0 roas

 

Let’s have a look behind the curtain of the prep work we do.

PREPARATION

There’s no shortcut to becoming profitable with FB ads, that’s why we do an in-depth analysis before we even start advertising.

Getting the research fundamentals right can significantly increase your chances of success when scaling the account.

1. Data, market and competitor analysis and ongoing social media listening.

This is where our initial investigation begins (and never stops). In the case with this account, we’ve identified their key players that sell similar products to similar audiences with a similar business model.

We then learned enough to understand:

  • what creative angles are being under-utilised by the competition
  • what audiences are most likely to be used in the testing phase
  • what are the overall customer acquisition strategies and tactics could be leveraged when scaling the account

2. Copy mining

There are several sources we went to for copy mining:

  • Amazon reviews of similar products
  • Youtube comments
  • Reddit threads
  • Existing customer reviews
  • Competitor product reviews

3. Target customer psychographics and behavioural segmentation (when needed)

The questions we’re always looking the answers to:

  1. What are customers’ fears and frustrations?
  2. What are their biggest desires?
  3. What are their limiting beliefs about the product/industry?
  4. What triggers them to buy this particular product?

All of this gives a much deeper but also wider understanding of the customer > lets us avoid guessing > which allows us to get quicker results from the initial testing phase.

GRADUATION TESTING PHASES WITH DYNAMIC CREATIVES

PHASE 1: set-up

Using CBO with DC (dynamic creatives) is the fastest way to get things moving through the testing phase (unless you’re starting with no data).

The structure as follows:

  • Initial testing> Interests stacking> DC > 5 ad sets (isolated interests) > 5 images
  • Initial testing> LALs 5%> DC > 5 ad sets > 5 images
  • Initial testing> Retargeting> 6 ad sets > 3 hot + 2 warm upper + 2 warm bottom

Of course, everything is optimised for conversion (high-quality data) to let the A.I. know what we’re after.

Now I know many of you are wondering what is the budget, timescales, etc..

It ALL depends on your product, CPA, AOV and a monthly budget.

The goal here is to figure out what ads and messages work best with which segments of your customer base and discover more targeted interests.

Graduation to PHASE 2: explore. narrow. kill.

Same structure, except:

1. We found new interests > stacked them up in a new campaign > started testing

2. LALs > Started testing 1%

3. Broke-down DC’s by image > killed high CPC ones.

4. Started testing headlines

  • Initial testing> Interests stacking> DC > 5 ad sets (isolated interests) > top performer images > 3-5 ad copies > 3 headlines
  • Initial testing> LALs 1%> DC > 5 ad sets > top performer images > 3-5 ad copies > 3 headlines
  • Initial testing> Retargeting> 6 ad sets > 3 hot + 2 warm upper + 2 warm bottom

The goal is to explore more interests, narrow down our LALs and start cutting down on creatives that din’t thrive.

At this stage we had:

  • winning creatives
  • winning ad copies

Graduation to PHASE 3: prep to scale

Here we were looking to collect more profitable data and prepare the account to scale.

Again, nothing fancy:

  1. Found best performing audiences
  2. Found best performing creative and copy combinations
  3. Stuck everything up in a new CBO “Initial Scaling” campaign

So eventually…

…we were able to be much more targeted with the campaigns—allowing us to scale up across multiple different customer segments.

As a result, we started seeing a really good ROAS at scale even at the last phase of testing.

Results:

Ad spend: $4,985

Purchase value: $26,675

ROAS: 5.35

Any questions are welcomed!

Leave a comment